Number: Policy #0001
Department: Access Services
All borrowing privileges are based on the eligibility of an individual and are not transferable. Any fees assessed for special borrower privileges are non-refundable. Please note that privileges are not issued to corporate or other group entities.
UNF Affiliates including:
- Currently employed faculty and staff
- Students enrolled in the current term
- Other UNF official ID cardholders
UNF Associates including: (Must renew privileges each year.)
UNF Alumni ($35 annually, payable by check, money order, debit, or credit)
- Retired/emeritus faculty and staff
- UNF faculty/staff spouse
- Continuing Education students enrolled in credit courses
- UNF governance board(s) and the State Board of Governors
- UNF/SUS partners: Students, faculty and staff of the other State University System (SUS) institutions including all four-year colleges and universities and two-year community colleges
- Faculty affiliates, visiting faculty, subcontractors for UNF services and other employees affiliated with UNF but paid from other than UNF budgets, when sponsored in writing by a UNF administrator
- Recruitment programs prescribed by the University
The University of North Florida’s mission includes a commitment to serve the educational business and medical communities of northeast Florida, within the UNF service area (Alachua, Bradford, Clay, Duval, Nassau, Putnam, and St. Johns Counties).
Access the online Special Borrower's Form.
Eligibility and Fees:
Community members must apply at the UNF Library for special borrower privileges. Unless indicated otherwise, privileges are granted for one year from the application date. All documents for establishing eligibility (photo/signature identification, other identification to verify social security number) must be provided at the time of application. All fees are non-refundable.
- Regular fee: $50 annually. Fee must be paid with check, money order, credit, or debit. No cash accepted.
Eligible Special Borrowers include:
- Area educators
- Individuals from the professional community and self-employed professionals engaging in business in the UNF service area - Applications must be accompanied by a business card, company letterhead or other evidence of professional need to borrow materials from this library. To be approved by the Director of Public Services.
- Visiting scholars and other researchers - Applications must be accompanied by a written petition demonstrating a specific topical research need that cannot be met by local public libraries. Please expect at least a three business day turnaround time for approval while credentials are verified. To be approved by the Head of Access Services or the Director of Public Services.
- Courtesy researchers – Applicants should provide a Letter of Introduction from their sponsoring institution. Borrowing privileges may be granted after review and approval from the Dean of the Library.
Conditions and Restrictions:
- Except for Interlibrary Loan Network libraries, privileges are not granted to corporate entities.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older for accountability purposes or parent/guardian with ID must co-sign the application.
- Privileges are not generally granted to students and faculty from non-SUS institutions unless the applicant is able to meet other criteria listed above.
- Except for eligible alumni and SUS affiliates, the applicant’s local address must be in the UNF service area.
Alternatives for persons ineligible for borrowing privileges at the UNF Library:
- In-library use
- Use of the local public library system funded for use by the general public
- Interlibrary Loan – As supported by the Florida Library Information Network (FLIN) and accessible through all public libraries and schools. Florida businesses may request materials from the State Library of Florida directly. Please note: Interlibrary loan service at UNF is available only to current UNF faculty, staff and students.