Mindfulness is the practice of paying attention to the present moment with curiosity and compassion. It can be a helpful way to reduce stress, improve focus, and boost emotional well-being.
There are many different ways to practice mindfulness, including:
- Meditation: Meditation is the practice of focusing your attention on a single object, such as your breath or a mantra.
- Yoga: Yoga is a mind-body practice that combines physical postures, breathing exercises, and meditation.
- Walking meditation: Walking meditation is the practice of paying attention to your breath and your surroundings as you walk.
- Body scan meditation: Body scan meditation is the practice of focusing your attention on different parts of your body, one at a time.
- Guided imagery: Guided imagery is the practice of listening to a recording that guides you through a visualization exercise.
The Library is uniquely positioned to offer mindfulness programs and resources to the UNF community. Thomas G Carpenter Library is a place where Faculty, Students, Staff and the local community can come to relax, learn, and connect with others. The Library can also be a place to practice mindfulness, away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Here are some ways that The Carpenter Library can offer mindfulness programs and resources:
By offering mindfulness programs and resources, libraries can help their communities reduce stress, improve focus, and boost emotional well-being.
In addition to the above, here are some specific benefits of mindfulness:
- Reduced stress: Mindfulness can help people to manage stress by teaching them how to focus on the present moment and let go of negative thoughts and emotions.
- Improved focus: Mindfulness can help people to improve their focus and concentration by teaching them how to train their attention.
- Boosted emotional well-being: Mindfulness can help people to boost their emotional well-being by teaching them how to accept their thoughts and emotions without judgment.
- Increased self-awareness: Mindfulness can help people to increase their self-awareness by teaching them how to observe their thoughts, feelings, and bodily sensations without judgment.
- Improved relationships: Mindfulness can help people to improve their relationships by teaching them how to communicate more effectively and listen more attentively.
If you are interested in learning more about mindfulness, or if you would like to suggest that your library offer mindfulness programs or resources, please contact Beryl White-Bing, Virtual Learning Librarian or Rebecca Maynite, Access Services Librarian.